Welcome
Welcome to agilefant

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

User rights: Two Agilefant instances or should we adopt 3.0?

Want to know how to do something in Agilefant? Post your questions here!

User rights: Two Agilefant instances or should we adopt 3.0?

Postby gboros » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:06 pm

How can I migrate a product from an agilefant installation to another one?

We have an internal installation of Agilefant. We are done with the first sprint and already started the second one now our client asked access to Agilefant so he can check our progress. The problem is that we have multiple projects inside of our installation and we don't want them to see the other projects:) You can understand that:)

If I'm right you cannot restrict an Agilefant user to have access only for one product, he will see all of them (please correct if I'm wrong).

So the solution is to make another installation and somehow migrate the project to that installation. Is there an easy way to do this?

I'm open for other solutions.
gboros

Re: How can I migrate a product from an agilefant installati

Postby jarno » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Unfortunately, there is currently no easy way to migrate a product from one database to another I am aware of.

But, there are viable alternatives. I see two approaches:

a)
Take a copy of your database, put it into another Agilefant instance, delete all products except the one you wish your client to have access to, and then create users for your client.

This has the obvious downside of having two Agilefant instances, as well as not being able to migrate the Product back into the 'main' database later on (or at least, it is not straightforward, and we have never done so yet ourselves).

b)
Adopt Agilefant 3.0 alpha X - this lets you restrict product access based on teams!

Create a team to represent your client, give as many users as you wish for them, and put them on the team. Then let that particular product to be accessed by that team.

The downsides of I can think of are as follows:

First, you currently have to do a bit of clicking around in order (ok, you can also alter the database tables directly) to let all your current users access all the products. No big deal, max 30min should do the trick.

Second, and more importantly, there are some known "holes" regarding user rights; in alpha 6, at least:

Going to Daily work tab and viewing - and editing! - anyone's daily work (viewing others' daily work should be restricted to those within one's team, and even then, only the stuff which related to the products the viewer has access to). This can be worked around by disabling the Daily work tab.

Going to Portfolio tab and seeing all ongoing projects (should be restricted to seeing only stuff related to those products the user's teams have access to). This can be worked around by disabling the Portfolio view.

Going to Timesheets tab and generating a report of all standalone iterations (which are another big new feature of 3.0; this is not a problem, since you don't yet have any standalone iterations)
#4 ...some other holes we are not aware of :-)

If I were you, I'd wait until we get holes #1 and #2 fixed (we can start working on them right away if you decide to go for this approach!), then adopt 3.0 alpha X. Or, if disabling Daily work and Portfolio views are not an issue for you, you could go for it right away, and then take those back into use as the fixes get done.

But, the approach you take depends on the criticality of being secretive about your other products & projects; while we get #1 fixed, there's no guarantee that the user rights are without any further big holes.

But if your relationship with the customer is good, and you don't have to be too secretive, your customer and you can help the entire Agilefant community by pointing out further holes - which can then get fixed.

Personally, I'm of course hoping you would adopt plan b), as this would provide feedback of the user rights functionality via a real user organization (that is, besides ourselves and some others we know well).

What do you think?
jarno
Site Admin

Re: Two Agilefant instances or should we adopt 3.0?

Postby gboros » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 am

Thank you for your quick and detailed response. We will adopt plan a) for the moment, but we will try 'Agilefant 3.0 alpha X' on a future project. We are also happy to help you with feedback.

Are there any major issues in 'Agilefant 3.0 alpha X ' that we should be aware of?
gboros

Postby jarno » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm

OK, great!

The downloads-page at Agilefant.org
http://www.agilefant.org/wiki/display/AEF/Downloads
contains a link to the list of known issues; here's the latest one (updated today):

Known issues

We make new alpha releases every few days, always when we get something further done.
jarno
Site Admin

Postby gboros » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Thank you jarno! Although I don't have access to the second link. Can you give me access for it?
gboros

Postby jarno » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Sorry, the link was broken; try now!

Actually, we already today made several changes that patch the above mentioned holes:

#1155 Hide the portfolio view from non-admin users AND prevent lookup via url-guessing
#1161 Restrict non-admins from viewing anyone else's daily work (URL hack still possible)
#1165 Hide Administration -> Teams & Users from non-admin users

These (and perhaps something else as well) will probably to be released as alpha 8 on Monday or Tuesday, once we've tried them out a bit more. The source is available at GitHub, though.

Of course, access rights could (and probably will) be polished further, so that the views just filter out stuff that a user shouldn't see instead of simply blocking access to these.

But, to summarize, we just might have the minimum viable user rights beta-ready after amending #1161 with the prevention of the URL hack, and this might well make it to alpha 8 early next week!

In how much of a hurry are you, or did you go for two Agilefant instances already? :-)
jarno
Site Admin

Re: User rights: Two Agilefant instances or should we adopt

Postby gboros » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Thank you!

Yes we are using already two instances :) but we will try Agilefant 3.0 alpha X for a future project, like I said:)
gboros

Re: User rights: Two Agilefant instances or should we adopt

Postby jarno » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Alpha 8 (released yesterday) contains fixes to user rights that should take care of the worst known holes - try it out and let us know!

Check out the release notes at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/agilefa ... gilefant3/
jarno
Site Admin

Return to User guide